With the Juneteenth celebration coming on June 19th, multiple celebrations, festivals, and creative flows are coming in as well. So, FMHIPHOP has made a list of events, works, and charities. All of those are taking place and being released upcoming Saturday.
- Tobe Nwigwe- ‘Passing Through’
Houston rapper Tobe Nwigwe has released a new song in partnership with Apple Music. As Tobe stated in the song bio, “I want my people to understand that specifically, just because I don’t want them to think that it’s gon’ be like this forever.”
Listen to the song:
- “Music for the Movement Volume III – Liberated” Juneteenth EP released by Disney with YBN Cordae and more.
According to USA Today, Disney is to release an EP about the Black experience, featuring Shahidi with her spoken word “To Be A Black Girl.” It also includes Bailey’s cover of Nina Simone’s “Feeling Good,” Cordae x Common’s “What’s Life,” and more. YBN Cordae has also agreed to put album funds to scholarships for HBCU students in underrepresented communities.
Listen on Spotify:
- On June 18th, Bandcamp has started a fundraiser in honor of Juneteenth. All sales from the streaming platform were received by NAACP. Their Legal Defense Fund is fighting for racial justice through governmental institutions.
- Charleston is holding a festival in honor of Juneteenth. Yung Bleu is headlining. The event also includes performances of Mooski (his song “Track Star” is trending on Tik Tok) and Hot 97 DJ Funkmaster Flex.
- Oklahoma holds a Juneteenth Festival in Oklahoma City. Its headliner is Jabee Williams, a local rapper and activist. As Williams told OU Daily, “We want people to not only know where they come from but know what they come from so that we can continue to move forward.” Williams also advocated for a former Oklahoma University student, Julius Jones, throughout the ‘Justice for Julius’ Jones is currently facing death row.
Nikita Serdiuk | IG: @nikitasrdk