Puerto Rican global icon Daddy Yankee (@daddyyankee) signs multi-million dollar contract with Universal Music Group (UMG). The partnership is reportedly the “biggest in the Latin music industry,” thus surpassing other big names like Bad Bunny and J Balvin.
Daddy Yankee & UMG – Contract Details
- LOS ANGELES, September 10th, 2020—El Cartel Records announces that Daddy Yankee closes a multi-million contract with Universal Music Group (UMG), making Yankee the most expensive man in Latin Music. UMG is led by Sir Lucian Grainge.
- UMG Global, Ingrooves, and Republic Records all joined in on this deal.
- The record deal was settled during the pandemic. Yankee signed it virtually along with Grainge and his entire team.
- Yankee commented the following:
[In Spanish] “I’ve worked hard at building a career that transcends cultures, frontiers, and languages, and I’ve created a business model that has helped bring our music to the world. By working with a historical Latin Artist, Universal Music Group and Sir Lucian are valuing my legacy, music, and contributions.
“This new single is just the beginning of the new projects that we have planned and I’m anxious to start them.”
- Don Don, featuring Anuel AA and Kendo Kaponi, was released globally across all major streaming platforms and digital services on Friday, September 11th. Since then, the music video has racked up 32.8M views. The Big Boss is not foreign to these numbers as his music video for Despacito holds the title for most-viewed ever.
- Sir Lucian Grainge, president and CEO of Universal Music Group, said:
“Daddy Yankee is an iconic artist and and entrepreneur whose extraordinary creativity influences culture on a global scale. We’re delighted to welcome him to the UMG family and we’re very excited to work together to maximize the global impact of his incredible talent.”
All in all, in terms of business moves, The Big Boss, is still the GOAT.
Related Post: Bad Bunny in Concert